Monday, February 05, 2007

At least I'm a warm idiot

This morning, the temperature at 7 a.m. was -19 with a wind chill that made it feel like -35. That's below zero. Fahrenheit.

I had to go up to the gas station to buy stickers for our extra post-move garbage. It's only a block away, so Sony and I walked up there. We donned our ski pants, sweaters, long johns, snow boots and parkas. One block was do-able. After all, it's warmed up to zero with a wind chill making it feel like only -15F. It's downright balmy.

Having survived the climate, I found some deeply-buried bravery and decided to head to the pharmacy to transfer a prescription. I walked in with my below zero wardrobe only to see the locals in regular shoes, regular coats, no gloves and no hats. For a minute, I felt like a fool in my bright yellow and green Oregon Duck coat. Then I decided, I'd rather stick out like a sore thumb as someone obviously-not-from-around-here then freeze my butt off or stick to the sidewalk like a frozen Oregon Duck popsicle.

1 comment:

Susan Miller said...

I just can't imagine!