Monday, July 09, 2007

Family Vacation Adventures

Last night's plan had been to update you on our cross-country travels. But instead of sharing stories and insights about seeing Mark, visiting the Badlands and Black Hills, experiencing Yellowstone (complete with a grizzly sighting!!) and the Grand Tetons, today's post is brief.

We had a bit of an adventure last night in Twin Falls, Idaho. The plan was to stay the night at the Holiday Inn Express. Twin Falls has literally quintupled in size since the last time we were here 3 years ago, according to an officer we spent time with (foreshadowing...). In all the new roads and congestion, I got turned around and a bit lost so I turned off the main drag to do a U turn on a side street when CRASH! A motorcycle that was right behind us went strait while I turned. As far as we know, the guy is doing well. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance as a precaution. The kids are fine and so is Rab. I messed up my left elbow a bit, am hurting, and was pretty shaken up last night. I'm so held in the arms of grace I can't believe it.

Anyway....we'll arrive in Portland tonight (Monday) and look forward to a restful time and hopefully quick repairs of the van at Artistic Autobody. Thank God for USAA insurance - they make stupid mistakes so managable. Thank God for kids who were extremely obedient during the hour after the accident as police took statements and pictures and as ambulances and fire trucks sirened to the scene. Thank God for a husband who was compassionate, tender and loving about the whole debacle. Thank God for the hotel clerk who found us a room when the whole city was booked. Thank God for Fred Meyer nutrition section that had all the items in stock that my sister told me to buy right away (and thank God for sissy too).

This morning I am thanking God not only for the everyday blessings and everything listed above, but also for the relative health that all involved are experiencing. I continue to hold the motorcyclist and his now damaged but previously beautiful bike in my thoughts and prayers and I'm thanking God that nothing more serious occurred. After the accident, pondering that possibility was the scariest part of the whole thing.

1 comment:

mark said...

Yowza! And here I was expecting it to be something involving the noise your brakes were making! Eek!