Saturday, June 23, 2007

Aaaaahhh....Saturday

Today is Saturday. Saturday has always been one of my favorite days.

As a kid, Saturday meant watching cartoons as my working-outside-the-house mom frantically cleaned the house from top to bottom. After Looney Tunes, my mom, sister and I would go grocery shopping at Fred Meyer, and I'd try to talk Mom into buying me all sorts of unnecessary snack food, toys and stuff.

As young marrieds, Rab and I would sleep in late then go to the buffet at Szechuan West with Honger and Beachball. We'd rotate paying for one another, based upon our paydays. Life was good.

Nowadays, Saturday mornings are my one sacred time. Barring a funeral (I've yet to do a wedding), it is my time. Rab comes home on Friday nights and takes over the parenting tasks after I've lived another week of single motherhood. Rab makes breakfast, plays with the boys, tends to the pets, and I...well...write my sermon, catch up on blog reading, catch up on other reading, stay in my PJs and watch bad TV. Today's selection is Diary of a Mad Black Woman. Believe it or not, I've watched it before - it's surprisingly full of theological themes. And it's funny.

Once the sermon is complete, we usually do some family type thing. We've become particularly adept at having our family type thing involve the need to go to the nearest city.

So here it is, another Saturday morning. The sermon has not yet been written, the movie is still playing, and life is good.

No comments: