Saturday, July 08, 2006

I'm not a certified air conditioner installer

Oh my....last night held the most ridiculous surprise. I decided to read awhile when I went to bed. Since TT was in my bed with C, I went into TTs wonderfully air conditioned room and snuggled into his double bed with a book.

So I'm sitting there reading and I hear: drip........drip.........drip. Now, it's hot outside and there's not a sink in TTs room. But, it's almost 1:00 a.m. and I'm reading a part of Cry the Beloved Country where umfundisi's church roof leaks like a sieve. "I couldn't be imagining the sound, could I?" I thought to myself. The book is not *that* descriptive. So, I furrowed my brow and went back to reading. Then I heard it again: drip....drip......drip. Even the cats heard it and they're not reading the book, so I knew it had to be real.

So I looked over at the air conditioner and sure enough, in the bottom left corner, the Vegietales blanket (explanation to follow) is dripping onto the floor. And not just little drops - big fat drops. I have to admit, I used to kind of like having a chance to mention TTs air conditioned room because I put the ac in there all by myself this year. When I installed it and it was crooked because of the window frame, my flawed ingenuity came up with the plan of putting his Vegietales blanket under the unit to even things out. All should've been well...right? When I told C what I'd done, his closet perfectionism didn't try to fix it. In fact, he was impressed. Well, until I told him this morning about what happened.

Anyway, back to the story. So there I am in TTs room at 1:00 am with Arwen the bulimic cat who thinks she's a dog , Aragorn the cat who makes a living as an escape artist, and a dripping air conditioner. I pulled the Veggietales blanket out, and it was wetter and drippier than Niagra Falls. The cats, of course, found this fascinating. The air conditioner, no longer finding stabilizing support from a blanket, began to teeter in the window pane. I was able to grab it before it found its way directly onto the firepit 15 feet below. Barely. Then Aragorn decided to jump onto the roof and explore while Arwen stood as distractingly underfoot as possible.

Many of you reading this know that the ac is in a dormer window. This presented it's own challenge as I attempted to bring the wet, drippy ac in and not bump my head on the wall/ceiling. TTs bed is right up to the dormer, so I had about 1 1/2 feet to manuever. I didn't want to set the ac on TTs bed, but I had to. So now my bed for the night was, well, wet.

Somehow I managed to get Aragorn the escape artist back inside. Arwen, almost barking with excitement at this point, began sniffing the ac and jumping on and off it. I got the window closed and realised that the leaking has been going on awhile (Shana - don't tell housekeeping!). The window frame has water marks and the floor is still a bit spongy in the dormer area. Maybe it's a good thing we're not moving right away. TTs room needs to dry out first.

No comments: