Saturday, April 07, 2007

How Do We Begin to Explain Some Things?

Our congregation's oldest member, Sweet Lady, is preparing to die. Rapidly throughout this week, her condition has continued to fail. I feel honored and lucky to have known her. She is a precious lady.

Yesterday, with her consent, the family gathered around her as we prayed the Service for the Commendation of the Dying. Afterward, she held my hand and told me she loved me, she prayed and hoped Jerusalem would continue to treat me well, and she blessed my ministry. It was a tearful, holy ground moment. Then she smiled as best she could, looked in my eyes, and said, "Now you come see me sometime when I die, ok?" Sense of humor and vast love to the end.

After the Good Friday service, I stopped by again to see how the family was holding up and how Sweet Lady was doing. She was sleeping peacefully and the tearful family was watching Sound of Music on the television. After visiting awhile, we prayed together. I began with the words, "Oh God, sometimes the waiting is difficult. We compel you to continue to usher Sweet Lady into your kingdom..." Right after those words, the Von Trapp children chimed in, "So Long! Farewell! Auf wiedersehen, Goodbye..."

No comments: