Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Ode to the Sitka Spruce

Talking to my dad's estate attorneys never ceases to amaze me. There's always some surprising twist or turn to throw my former assumptions off. Today was no different.

This afternoon, I was talking to one of the attorneys and she mentioned the famous, on the way to the beach, cornball but ya gotta do it stop known as The Nation's Largest Sitka Spruce Tree (or as one website states: also known as the “Klootchy Creek Giant”) is no more.

Rab and I stopped there on the way to our honeymoon on the Oregon Coast. We went by there the day before my ordination to show it to Future Bishop and his wife. And now the former towering 200' tree has been destroyed by 100+ mph winds. Waah.

At least as I was reading up on all this I found out that there is an official "keeper of the National Big Tree Register". How do you suppose people find jobs in such a field? Is there a 5 year old somewhere saying, "When I grow up, I want to be the keeper of the National Big Tree Register"?

2 comments:

Scott said...

Well, I haven't stopped checking - glad you're back. Sorry about the tree.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you've returned to this part of the blogosphere. We were just reminiscing about our time with your clan last year at this time.

We're sad to hear about the tree and thankful we got to see it before it joined the hosts of trees who went before it in returning to the earth.

We have been thinking of you often and miss you all.