Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Alive...just busy

Last summer, I would never have considered such a long period of time between posts. My how things change when one is gainfully employed!

Life is good. It's also busy. Ear infections, strep throat and various illnesses (we're going on 14 consecutive weeks with one thing or another, folks!) for the boys, a commuting husband who is home Fridays-Sundays, and the continual mommy-pastor balance make up the reality of life here in Jerusalem.

I found out the other day that Rab has become the topic of small town gossip because he's rarely here and never in worship (aahhh...my sweet Buddhist guy). Apparently, there are rumors going around that he is a trucker. Ha. Let 'em keep talking! Who knows what they'll come up with next.

The honeymoon of the first months of pastoral ministry is beginning to fade. Some days I find myself near tears, heavy laden with the burdens, worries, and responsibilities far beyond my comfort zone or control. Other days, I'm amazed with the effect a quick visit or kind word can have not just on someone's day but on their very life. There seems to be much drama in this pastor gig - sometimes I probably bring it on myself, other days it seems to find me.

I've had some interesting run ins with the old guard of Jordan. Any and all changes, even the ones underway before I began and ones that did not come from me, are being labelled as my agenda. One unfamiliar hymn in a service brings about exaggerated comments like, "I never know any of the hymns in worship anymore!!" It's easy to get worn down by the comments.

At the same time, though, I have amazing committee members, a wonderful council, and a fantastic text study group. Tonight, the Worship committee met at my house because our new sitter/nanny is on vacation. How awesome is that?! A job where my roles can co-exist.

Now and again, I've been able to slip away to the Castle and gain some necessary space, time, and insight. Those times also provide for such wonderful re-connection with beloved friends. I love the times I get to escape to the Castle for awhile - to a place where my first name is not "Pastor."

So, overall, life is good. Sometimes it's tough being a grown up with such a grown up job. Other days, most days probably, I feel pretty lucky to be called to a position where I can be both a mommy and be employed. Some days, just getting through the next hour is all I can expect of myself. Other days, the time flies by because of all the fun and joy.

3 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

I know exactly how you feel. I've been to the point of tears a couple of times myself. I'll email you later and explain more. I miss you all so much!

Anonymous said...

i would like to slip away to the castle...

:(

-mark

Tara Ulrich said...

Lets all slip away to the castle....I could use a get-away to the castle now. :(