Tuesday, May 15, 2007

"Who Are We to Stand in Front of Your Dreams?"


Last night at Church Council, I presented a proposal asking that my continuing education funding/time be spent on spiritual direction training.  Normally, I wouldn't run continuing ed offerings before council.  In this case, though, the training involves three weekends a year - including Sundays.

After having reviewed the written proposal and explanation in advance, the members of council asked a few questions.  Mostly, they wanted to better understand spiritual direction as a concept and practice.  Then, there was unanimous approval to support the proposal.

Looking back, I think my initial reaction was one of call... I responded with, "Are you sure?  You do understand this means I'll be gone 3 Sundays a year in addition to my vacation Sundays."  The headline above was the first response, followed by, "We'll survive without you...(grin) you're not indispensible."

So here I stand, humbled, called and about to embark on a 3 year training process in pursuit of yet another calling.  Thanks be to God?

2 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

Will you be my spiritual director? ;)

Anonymous said...

i'm in the process of getting a spiritual director. part of me thinks that going through that training might be something i do a few years down the road. you'll have to let me know how it goes :)
-mark