Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Another Minky-ism to Brighten Your Day

Yesterday, Minky was feigning illness.  First, he woke up and said he had "the strep throat" (why the definite article, I'm not sure).  Then when I didn't buy it, he said his tummy hurt.  Then a headache.  Yet, somehow, he found the energy to play heartily with the dog outside.  

I got him dressed and fed then we hopped in the car.  He thought he was going to a meeting with me.  When we pulled up at school, he threw a minor fit and wrapped his arm around the van door armrest.  After about 5 minutes of prying him out of the van, we headed into school.  All of these sweet kids kept cheerfully saying good morning to him and he just scowled back.  I whispered to him, "That's really no way to make friends, Minky" to which he responded with a growl, "Shut up."

I asked the teacher to step into the hallway for a minute so I could fill her in on the seriousness of his many and varied ailments.  She told me that the other day, she had a riddle on the board that asked, "How do you get a day off from school?"  Minky, not one to normally volunteer an answer, enthusiastically raised his hand and said, "That's easy...pretend you're sick!"

8 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

Your Minky-isms always brighten my day! This one was great. I miss that kid so much! Hope you are having a good day!

Anonymous said...

Did she tell you what the answer to the riddle was?
I need to know!
-mark

Shana said...

ps it also does the trick for getting off work.

Anonymous said...

no, really. i NEED to know.
-mark

Skdo said...

Ok, ok. I just emailed the teacher. I'll let you know the answer as soon as she responds!

Skdo said...

P.S. Don't you have work to do, Mark?

Skdo said...

Here you go, Mark.

How do you get a day off from School?
Wait for Saturday.

Anonymous said...

thank you.
now i can sleep tonight.
-mark