Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I'm so proud

Last Friday, as I was walking up and down the aisles of Office Depot, I received a call on my cell phone. I have called ID and I saw that the school was calling. I sighed and guessed that someone was sick (afterall, not one week has gone by without an illness since 2007 began...).

When I picked up the call, though, the principal's voice came across the lines. Principals do not call when your kid is sick - they leave that to the school secretaries of the world (Kind of like how pediatricians assign the task of giving shots to their nurses). I greeted him and then:

Principal: (sigh) Yeah...um...Minky. Had a bit of a scuffle at recess today.
Me: Really?
Principal: Well it seems that he and 3 first graders were going up the slide during recess and he was not going fast enough for the others. The boys asked him to go faster and Minky responded resolutely that he would go the speed he wanted to go...with that, one of the boys pushed him up the slide, although he claims he was only helping Minky. Anyway, Minky responded by attempting to choke the boy. Boy #2 responded by punching Minky in the mouth and Minky kicked him where it counts. The boys ended up in a scuffle and...well...I guess the good news I have for you is that Minky looks the best of the 4 boys. I guess he won."
Me: Well, Mr. Principal, I always knew the day would come when I'd get a call like this...I guess I'm glad you're the one calling.

Mr. Principal seemed to understand Minky's intense reaction and how his anxiety disorder played a role in said reaction. Minky lost a couple recesses. And I think the 1st graders now know that Minky is the kingpin of the playground, not to be unnecessarily provoked. I'm so proud of my little PK, types mom with rolling eyes and a shaking head.

No comments: