Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Today was a great day

Today I went to the Castle. Home. Of sorts anyway. I find it fascinating that the two places in my life where I am renewed, revitalized and re-energized are the beach and the Castle.

I saw my girlfriends, visited with former classmates, connected with former professors, heard Yoda speak, and was known as skdo (not "Pastor Skdo"). Yay. I so deeply miss friendship, connection and being known as a person rather than as a pastor.

Now, don't get me wrong. Being a pastor is great. I just need to make some friends here in Jerusalem. My day to day interactions need to be broadened beyond pastor stuff. I know this will come...it takes time...and, much to my surprize, someone pointed out I've only been at Jordan in Jerusalem for 2 months. It feels like years. Mostly in a good way.

When I returned to Jerusalem, we had an education team meeting. This team, like our youth leaders team, was just formed. We've been doing a great deal of forming lately. There's much that is dead or dying and in need of resussitation. And I have no doubt new life is on the horizon, yet much is requiring a high dose of pastor-as-cheerleader. Sometimes this role tires me out. Well, much to my great surprize, this team is so pumped, so eager to get going, so ready to make some fantastic and radical changes. Sigh. Finally...one thing they say they want that many people are willing to be gung ho and goal oriented about. One thing they're not looking to me to solve. One time they have their own wonderful ideas ready to roll! Amen!

1 comment:

Tara Ulrich said...

I feel the same way about the castle. The castle is definetely a place were I can rejuvenate, etc. I wish I were closer because I really could use a day to rejuvenate. Good thing Im heading off to AZ for a couple days in April. I miss you lots! And I know what you mean about being known for who you are and not the pastor...I am having a similar experience here!