Wednesday, March 28, 2007

You're Like Family



Today I received the most heart-warming, tear-creating feedback of my pastoral life. I went to visit a 98 year old parishoner who I just adore. Her 70-something daughter takes care of her. As I was getting ready to leave, the daughter and I talked in the kitchen for a few minutes about how she's holding up as her mom gets weaker and weaker. At one point, she hugged me and said, "I treasure you. You are like family to us."

As if that wasn't enough, as I walked home (the ladies just live a block from me), a man who has been attending our church lately spotted me. I asked him how his latest medical results came back and he said fine. Then he told me that his dad had just passed away on Monday.
We had the most wonderful pastoral care conversation right there in the gas station parking lot.

I love my job.

No comments: