Saturday, March 03, 2007

Look, Mommy, it's Jeeeeee-zzzz-us!

When Sony was about 2, Rab and I took him with us to a Jewish Shiv'ah for the father of a dear friend. It was the last night of the Shiv'ah and we remained in the kitchen during the brief service because so many folks were already in the living room where the service was to take place. After the service, the rabbi majestically brought in the lovely, sculptured menorah. The piece had a Star of David, upon which the candles were placed. In front of the Star was a sculpture of Moses. As the Rabbi entered the room, there was a hushed reverence in the crowd. Little Lamb Sony saw the art and exclaimed as only the best TV evangelist could, "Look, Mommy!!!! It's Jeeeeezzzzzus!" Everyone's breath was held and the reverent peace turned into an anxiety-ridden, uncomfortable, heavy silence. I responded, "Actually, that's Jesus' friend, Moses" and the whole crowd collectively exhaled with relief.

I've been pondering this whole Jesus Family Tomb thing a lot this week. I've been asking people about their reactions and thoughts, wondering how it might be affecting both the faithful and the searching. So what's your reaction to the whole deal? The special airs on the Discovery Channel at 8pm Central (9pm Eastern/Pacific) on Sunday.

7 comments:

Susan Miller said...

Hey, girl. I guess any press is good press, huh? It just doesn't shake me, my faith is not at risk in any way. There were a couple of mornings on my drive to work when I heard some call ins on the radio that were angered by the suggestion. I'm just happy to hear people talking about Him.

Susan Miller said...

The apostle Paul wrote: Christ is exactly like God, who cannot be seen. He is the first-born Son, superior to all creation.

I came back because it seemed fitting that this Bible verse was sent to me this morning after reading your post. I can't help but smile. Good Sunday to you.

Rev. Maureen Frescott said...

I'm just amazed at how many news outfits covered the story as if the "discovery" would be welcome and exciting news to Christians. As in "yay! we've discovered the long-lost tomb of our founder!" They seemed to have missed the whole "no-bodily-resurrection-of-Jesus" = "no-Christianity" angle.
Doh!

Susan Miller said...

It was sad to me that down in the Bible belt people were upset with even the mention of a family tomb. Somehow thinking that their faith could be discredited. Is it really that fragile?

Shana said...

i tried to watch the special on the discovery channel, but there was SO MUCH BITCHING AND WHINING that i couldn't stand it, and i watched girls next door on e! instead. definitely a good decision. 8-)

mark said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mark said...

just checking to make sure you're still alive.

oh, and to see how Minky is doing with his repaglarity.