Monday, December 11, 2006

The First Test

About 2 or 3 hours after his initial call to tell me that the vote was affirmative, the congregational president called again. As I already knew, it seems that nearly everyone in the congregation already knows where I'll be living. Aaahh...small town life. His call had to do with this new address.

One of the ladies of the congregation had called to tell him that the house we are buying is on a street where 2 registered sex offenders live. As we spoke, I got the impression that both he and she were not only concerned but were also guessing that I'd be looking for another home.

Now, this information is serious. I don't take it lightly. I also appreciate the congregation's investment in me and my family and their concern for our well-being. Just the same, I am a survivor of sexual assault, so I feel uniquely qualified to weigh in on this topic. As a messenger of God's grace and forgiveness and as someone devoted to living in hope, I cannot with good conscience choose to flee elsewhere. What message does it send to the already-outcast if the new pastor runs in terror at news of mistakes past? What kind of witness does it send if the pastor lives in fear?

Both my husband and I are clear that we will move into our Cute Gray House as planned. We will be wise as serpents and gentle as doves as we encounter our neighbors-with-pasts. Yes, we'll watch the kids a bit more closely and we'll be a bit more alert. Yet, hopefully, our decision to live in the Cute Gray House will send a loud and clear message regarding how Christ calls us to encounter people with skeletons in their closets. Afterall, in one way or another, isn't that each of us?

2 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

Im mad. I was just trying to buy airline tickets online and NW is being stupid. Says my billing address is not correct. Guess Ill try again later! Hope you are having an awesome day!

Susan Miller said...

I most admire your strength and your faith.