Thursday, December 21, 2006

My Last Carpool

This morning marks the last time I gathered scattered, beloved neighborhood children into the minivan and drove the 4 minute ride to the school. Over the last 3 1/2 years, I've probably driven this route at least 400 times. Some rides have been full of noise, others full of pushing, others full of silence, and still others somewhere inbetween all this fullness. I've talked with 5th and 6th graders in the front seat about the struggles of adolescence and unforgiving teachers, rubbed fuzzy mittens in little Erica's face to hear her to giggle, heeded Minky's requests for music or no music, chased rogue dogs back into the house for kids heading to the van, and always made a point to ask the quietest kid in the bunch about their day.

Amidst the craziness of graduate school pressures and schedules, carpool has always been a certainty. For a brief moment in the day, I've been able to turn off all the other noise of life and simply be with great kids. I will certainly miss the predictible chaos and company of my morning companions.

1 comment:

mark said...

the couple times that i filled in for people at the carpool were a lot of fun. so i can understand how you will miss it.