Thursday, August 24, 2006

Surprising illusions, eccentric confusions

How do I even begin to tell the story of Arwen, the cat who thinks she's both a dog and the Queen of our home, and my new shirt? Mark has challenged me to do so. Since I'm not one to back away from a good challenge, I'll give it a go...

I bought a new shirt the other day. I set it on the ottomon to take a picture of it so you could all admire my funky taste in clothes. It was still laying out on the ottoman in the living room the other night, and Mark and I were talking and hanging out. Arwen was at the side of the couch watching the fish in the fishtank. She must've been feeling a need for a royal-fix because all of the sudden, she began to jump onto her throne (aka the ottoman). Instead, she hit the ottoman with one, maybe two, paws, sprang into the air at least 6 inches, twisted mid-air about 120 degrees, landed with one paw on Mark's sandaled foot, poked a hole in Mark's foot, sprang back up about 4 inches or so, and then jumped onto the floor. From the floor, she hunkered down in fear with her chin near the ground, looking at the shirt. She was positively afraid of it. Mark leaned over and moved it an inch or so and Arwen FLIPPED OUT! She caught air once again, backed up and began walking backwards away from the ottoman. Her gaze was fixed on the mysterious shirt that had taken over her throne.

Of course, we couldn't leave the situation at that. Mark continued to move the shirt and mess with the cat. Yeah, we're desperate for cheap entertainment around here. C came up and we told him about it. I swear Arwen knew we were laughing at her and talking about her. She left the room in disgust.

So this morning, I bought this jacket from Coldwater Creek. Do you think it will freak her out too? Any bets on how high she'll jump?

1 comment:

Shana said...

wow. wish i could have been there to see it.