Thursday, August 24, 2006

Tweet, tweet

So yesterday, in an effort to avoid packing and boxing, Mark came over to see what was going on. We were talking and laughing when TT came up and asked if we'd help him build a birdhouse. We've had this birdhouse kit on the shelves in the basement since we moved here and it's always something we're going to do later.

I volunteered Mark to help, partly because I'm lazy and partly because he and TT are buds and I thought it would be a fun thing for them to do together. And, besides, it gave Mark another excuse not to pack.

When TT and I went to get the kit in the basement, I whispered to him, "Maybe you should let Mark take it for his new house and then he can think of you every time he feeds the birds." TT responded, "But Mommy, I want to think of Mark everytime I see a bird in it. We need to keep it."

It was about the cutest thing in the world to watch them. TT took the lead and Mark let him. Mark's thumb even got hit by TTs hammer a time or two. For the most part, TT painted the house by himself. Mark and I tried hard not to take over but our perfectionist tendencies got the best of each of us at least once or twice.

Now, the birdhouse is dry and is hanging on our porch light (the suction cups that came with the kit didn't work out, so we improvised). Everytime we see it, we'll think of Mark and miss him. And, man, are we going to miss him.

2 comments:

mark said...

That's one mighty fine looking bird feeder!

Tara Ulrich said...

I totally cried when I read this story.