Sunday, November 26, 2006

Packing boxes

As I sit here before my laptop, I don't have any burning issue or topic on my mind. Lately, it seems like many of my blog posts are simply a running commentary on what I've been doing. I'm not sure how exciting that really is, but I'll share it nonetheless.

Thanksgiving was great. We went to Southern Same Name Lady's and had an absolutely wonderful meal with great company. Rab needs to find out her turkey secret - it was the juiciest turkey I think I have ever had in my life. Yum. SSNL made a couple salads, turkey and wonderful sweet potatoes. Rab made stuffing, cranberry sauce and 2 pies from scratch. By the way, pumpkin pie turns out fine even if you forget the evaporated milk. ;) Joining us in our festivities was a student from Kenya. It was nice to share our American tradition with him.

For the first time in many years, I stayed home on Black Friday and didn't hit the sales. Between Miss Emily not being here to chase down diamond earrings for me and our upcoming move, it just didn't seem prudent. Instead, I stayed in, watched movies like Mona Lisa Smiles on TNT or some other cable channel and packed boxes and more boxes and more boxes. I'm truly almost at the point where nothing more can be packed until closer to our move (which, we're hoping is December 16 but may not be until January 2 - we should know on Monday if we can move into our new house before closing on the 2nd).

Beginning on Friday and continuing into Saturday, I experienced temporary insanity and cleaned out the play room and sorted the toys. I threw out an entire rubbermaid container of broken toys, loose game pieces and Batmen without feet or hands (what exactly does it mean when your 7 year old cuts the feet or hands off his action figures? I'm a little worried here...).

Once again, I headed to my little country church to preach this morning. I really don't get what this is about but every time I like the sermon I leave with, it ends up not preaching as well as I'd hope. The sermons that I think are rotten are usually the best received and have the most impact. This phenomena occurred again today. I left the house with a sermon that I thought was wonderful. Throughout the preaching experience, though, I never sensed that magical moment where people were captivated and thought provoked. At least I had their attention, I guess. It wasn't all bad. It feels sad and weird to know that next Sunday will be my last time with them.

Tomorrow, Minky's reading tutor appointment shifts to 3:15. This means I'll be packing more boxes in the morning (boo) and then I will get to have lunch with my buddy Small Town Girl (yippie!). I'm so excited I could almost scream. AAARRGGH! :)

The pizza guy just brought dinner, so I guess this is goodbye for now. Yep, you just got dumped for 3 $5 medium pizzas from Pizza Hut. Don't worry, I'll be back.

1 comment:

Em said...

I didn't go shopping either. Just didn't have the right company!