Friday, November 03, 2006

Today I miss the beach

I can already feel the serenity fading...I miss the waves, the sand between my toes, the coastal air. Sigh.

I went to chapel at the Castle on Wednesday and ended up having coffee and talking with Yoda for 2 hours afterward. He is such a wise, wonderful, and funny man. We laughed and talked and laughed some more. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen him laugh so hard. He literally had tears in his eyes from laughing as I told him about my idiosyncratic sand collection.

After an hour or so of coffee, I told Yoda I needed to get going because the Store Full of Cool Stuff downtown was going out of business. I had my eye on this humongous shell and my plan was to fill it with all of the sand I've collected from all over the world. I even pushed him to consider how there could be theological musings attached to this venture. He wasn't so sure, but he enjoyed my grasping for theological straws.

The sand collection began when C & I moved to South Carolina and I was desperately, desperately, desperately missing Oregon. C's sister Beautiful sent me a package of Oregon beach sand. It truly provided a slice of home and a source of solace as it sat on my desk and invited my fingers into it. Since then, the sand collection has grown. I've got sand from Barcelona, South Carolina, California, Oregon, Lake Superior... After years away from the Oregon Coast, the particular beach upon which I walk is no longer as important as the experience of walking on any beach. I will forever and always be drawn to the temptations of the sea.

After saying a typical Midwest goodbye and musing in my mind about how Yoda, a septegenarian, is a lot like an older brother to me, I headed down to the Store Full of Cool Stuff. But alas, the shell had surfed to another home. After the saleswoman shared the news, I walked around the store at least three times just to make sure. Instead, I ended up purchasing my own mini-beach and a great bucket with a parrot on it. Then I went home, got on Ebay and began bidding on large seashells.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if Yoda knows you call him Yoda and talk about him on your blog. ;)