Thursday, November 09, 2006

So much to do, so little self-discipline

I fully expected to go into work this morning. The automated substitute system calls me every morning offering me the opportunity to spend my day with munchkins. I've come to expect it. We seem to have struck up quite a relationship -- it calls begging for my presence and I decide I don't want to work, press the star key to turn down the job, and play hard to get. Subfinder must have decided that it's had enough of my routine...today, it didn't call. I've been dumped my an automated system. Ok, maybe that's dramatic. Maybe nobody called in sick on the day I planned to actually work.

Regardless of the reasons, I have spent the first few hours of my morning seemingly busy. I applied for a mortgage, called our new CPA, sent a bunch of emails, checked out my friend's new website/newsletter, and sat on the couch with Arwen the bulimic cat who thinks she's a dog (who, I kid you not, is currently chewing on a plastic sandwich bag). It sounds good, doesn't it? It sounds like I've been busy. Anytime that tasks involve sitting at my desk on the computer, I can appear very productive. I seldom feel like I've gotten much done, though - the laundry sits awaiting my attention and the living room is still littered with kids' coats, school papers and Halloween candy wrappers. The rest of life beckons even if my laptop and I have been hard at work.

Not long ago, I was talking with a friend about our work styles. He told me he is much more productive when he's busy. I'm the same way. When I've got time on my hands, I tend to wander around aimlessly and become very poor at applying myself. I do a little of this and a little of that and nothing really seems to ever get done. The to do list grows and I'm left trying to figure out how I spent my time.

Now that I've added 'updated my blog' to my list of today's accomplishments, I suppose I should begin packing boxes or something. It would be good to have evidence of a day gone by...at least before C gets home from work and wonders what I've been doing all day.

No comments: