Friday, November 03, 2006

Today in the Church...

I used to be very committed to The Today Show on NBC. For whatever reason, I've gotten out of the habit. But today, I turned it on and I am so glad I did. In addition to learning about issues of supreme importance like This Season's Trendiest Skirts, Celebrity Chrushes, and the Horrors of British Petroleum, I just saw a wonderful interview with Katharine Jefferts Schori, the new Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church USA. She is a second career minister and has only been ordained for 12 years. Now she's the first woman to lead a major US mainline denomination. I was so impressed with her. She's one of my new heroes. Click here to see the interview then follow the link 2/3rd of the way down the page.

In other religious news, it appears that Rev. Ted Haggard, apparently some famous evangelical (I've never heard of him, but then again he doesn't run with my crowd of religious people...), just stepped down as leader of the National Association of Evangelicals amidst sexual indescretion allegations. Unfortunately, he is a vocal opponent of gay rights. Ironically, the allegations apparently involve assertions that he had a gay relationship.

I'm really getting sick of a couple things: (1) people who forget the gospel message and get all in a dither about the morality of others while forgetting to worry about their own, and (2) pastors and church leaders of any denomination who can't keep their pants on.

1 comment:

mark said...

I try to keep my pants on.

But it makes showering hard.

And don't even get me started about how difficult it makes going to the bathroom...