Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Blimey!

Our boys love Steve Irwin, the recently deceased Crocodile Hunter (I just realised this name is a bit of a misnomer because really Irwin was all about conservation and saving wild animals....anyway, I digress). For as long as I can remember, the boys (and therefore we) have watched Steve interact with big snakes, snapping crocs, and all kinds of wildlife.

TT is especially nuts about the Crocodile Hunter. At one point in his young life, he wanted to be a croc hunter when he grew up. T's got the ADD and the thrill seeking down...now if he could just pull of an Australian accent. ;-)

The other morning, when the news broke, TT came into my bedroom and I told him what had happened. He didn't quite get it because he saw video of the Croc Hunter running on TV as I was telling him that the Croc Hunter had died. "But he's right there!" TT exclaimed. I tried to explain and we went around and around and finally I mumbled under my breath, "TT, you're in denial." C came out of the shower a few minutes later, saw us watching a broadcast about Irwin and said to TT, "Isn't it sad news, bud..." TT responded sadly and faintly, "Yeah....I'm in denial..."

Then last night, CH and I were watching Larry King and listening to Irwin's manager talk about him. CH got misty eyed (ah...my old soul child) and said, "You know, Mom, this is sad for the whole world, but it's so sad for his wife and kids...It breaks my heart to think about his family and how sad they must be." I love that boy.

Ends up, Irwin's wife, Terri, grew up in Eugene, Oregon. C was telling me he read an article about how the couple met. The article talked about her Oregonian roots. No wonder she's so cool. My heart goes out to her in her grief. What a sad, sad loss.

1 comment:

Shana said...

your kids are great. hope tt gets over his denial... it's going to be a process though. it's not every day a special croc hunter like that can be part of our lives... unless his show goes on re-runs... oh wait, it is on re-runs... hey...