Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sell your stock in Dr. Pepper

An insider's tip: Dr. Pepper stock (if there actually is such a thing) is about to take a nose dive. Today, for the 803rd time (ok...maybe it's not really that many), I decided to give up caffeine and soda. I made it through the day with only a modest headache and a great deal of sleep.

I always have such huge intentions when I begin these no soda/no caffeine journeys. Then something stupid happens: the weather gets cold and a warm cup of coffee sounds just right and there's no decaf in the house or someone orders pizza and the one thing I love to drink with pizza is soda (I'm not a beer girl). One time, I gave up caffeine for a long time (like 3 months!) and then I noticed I was drinking a lot more wine...hmmmm....perhaps not the best alternative. Whenever I start up again, I think I can do the "only one soda a day" routine and soon I'm binging again and craving soda left and right. Then I put my feet in the mud and completely resent Cs constant suggestions that I reconsider my caffeine consumption. Yeah, it's an addict kind of behavior, I know...

Years ago in Portland, I read an article in the paper about some gal that started a Caffeine Addicts Anonymous group. I thought that was pretty interesting until my sister told me she knew the gal and that the gal was not only a real pain in the butt but also a basketcase. Maybe that gal needed just one more Dr. Pepper to calm her down...

No comments: