Sunday, October 15, 2006

Aaaawwwww...

I almost feel like a real pastor today. The little country church where I'm preaching each Sunday has always had a special place in my heart (I've gone out there on and off for the last 4 years), but today it was even more special.

Before church, as we gathered around the 50 year old woodstove to warm up (there's no electricity), we were chatting and I mentioned I wouldn't be there next weekend. The whole congregation (all 9 of them) sighed and were bummed. After the sermon, during the passing of the peace, I got a bunch of those gripping, extended handshakes with major eye contact.

I left this morning realizing that I actually do have a congregation right now. (smile)

1 comment:

Susan Miller said...

I grew up in a very small Southern Baptist country church, my friend. The enrollment was 30 but on Wednesday night I was one of about nine sitting in one of those well worned pews. Brother Leland Goodman's words still ring in my heart....you make a wonderful difference and even if you find a church filled with millions I think you should still preach as if you preaching to those nine that love you.