Monday, October 16, 2006

One phone call can change it all

This morning, I woke up in a rather gray mood. Not crabby, not sad, just gray. Like the woman in the James Taylor song ("She said move me, move me. I'm locked up inside...She said make me angry or just make me cry, but no more gray mornings..."). There was nothing particularly wrong nor nothing particularly right either. Just a gray, blase day. So I pretty much wasted the morning away on the computer - that tends to be my default gray day activity. Then at 11:30, I took TT to his reading tutor and his vision therapy appointment in LaCrosse, 2.5 hours away. Our weekly 250 mile round trip trek.

I was stunned at TT's reading improvement and thrilled to see him do so well. Yay! Nine sessions into this 45 session endeavor and we're seeing more and more promising results each week.

Just at the end of the session with the reading tutor (as the tutor was telling me he'd rather work with TT unmedicated because he doesn't think he really has ADD...and he's basing this all on today's appointment where TT was really tired from a late bedtime last night and not taking last week's successful and medicated experience into account....don't get me started), my phone rang. Bad timing. I turned it off mid-ring then forgot about it.

Awhile later, as TT was gleefully and proudly making armpit farting noises and entertaining the bevy of kids awaiting their vision therapy appointments (he told me later: "You know, Mommy, it's so great, God gave me the gift of making people laugh." I love that kid!), I checked my voice mail and what do you know?! It was the assistant to the bishop saying he'd like to send my paperwork to a congregation and he anticipates they'll want to interview me next week or the week after. Then he told me about other options down the road in case this one doesn't pan out - I like that he always does this because it prevents me from feeling like the only opportunity for ministry is the one immediately before me.

Looks like I best be dropping off my dry cleaning before I leave for Cali.

The night only got better: on my way home, I received a call from Pastor Hospitable just because he was thinking about me and all the fun he used to have with C and I when he lived here. That made my night. Then, I checked my email and received notes from two faraway friends who I miss so much. I'm so thankful for friends - God has surrounded me with great ones.


Countdown to Buffett: 3 days!!!!!!!
Countdown to Cali: 2 days!!!!!!

3 comments:

Susan Miller said...

How wonderful! I am so happy for you. It is great to read about all of your incredible blessings and even greater yet to read how grateful you are for them. Thank you so much for sharing that!

mark said...

it is sad that you will not be able to sneak me in to this Buffett concert.

mark said...

and it is good that you are being given more options by your teddy bear of a bishop.


hopefully one of these congregations will realize what they're being offered and snatch you up.