Monday, October 30, 2006

Life is Beautiful

After reading the Sunday paper, the fam headed to the pumpkin patch a couple days ago. CH really wanted to act like he was too grown up for the whole thing but at least he went along without copping an attitude. I think he even had fun in spite of his efforts. TT was in his element. He rode Peanut Butter the pony twice. He told us he picked PB because PB was the fastest one. PB was hooked up to one of those multi-pony circle things...

We walked through the corn maze. The farmer told us he sent his kids through every so often to find any lost people because there were 14 dead ends in the maze. Kind of like life. The maze was a wonderful study in family systems theory - TT assumed he was in charge throughout the maze and ran ahead to discover what was around the bend, CH amiably followed along without asserting his own desires to lead sometimes and he rested comfortably in living in personal indecision, the ever-logical C kept track of each twist and turn and probably knew where we were at exactly each step while also keeping track of which kid got to choose the next direction in the next fork in the road. And me, well it's always a bit strange (let alone impossible) to be objective about one's own role so I'll just tell you what I did. I brought up the rear, took pictures, savored the moments in my heart, and walked sometimes with one kid, sometimes with the other, and sometimes hand-in-hand with C. It amazes me how a corn maze can remind you about the important things in life if you let it.

After the corn maze, we headed to the animals - it always amazes me to watch TT interact with animals. This boy has a future with animals - my cool, serene cousin once suggested horse massage. She does it and thinks TT would be amazing in the field. TT could have spent all day feeding the chickens, rabbits, goats, sheep, geese and ducks. He seemed to have an affinity for the ones who were most stressed out by the whole petting zoo concept. I loved watching this amazing gift shine brightly as he comforted animals and helped other kids notice animal subtleties.

We played in the "Iowa sandbox" - a huge 15 x 20 box full of corn. What a trip. Kids were burying themselves in the corn, scooping it up, throwing it...the whole sandbox deal.

We also laughed. C tried to steal CH's cotton candy and it became a fun game that got us all laughing. C and I watched the kids frolick and play. TT snapped this shot. I love it. I can't remember the last time I laughed heartily with C. What a gift.

5 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

This post brought a huge smile to my face. Im glad you had such an awesome day as a family. It is great to see pics of the boys. I miss them! TT truly does have a gift for animals. I love the pic of him interacting with the animals. See now you got me started....I dont want you to send the killer frog after me so I am leaving a comment every time I stop by! Maybe Ill have to resort to a threat to get people to leave comments on my blog too!

Mark said...

great post. i enjoyed the pumpkin patch when i went there a year ago (i believe) with you and our dear friends whom i think you've dubbed The Hospitables.

in other news, i totally knew where you were coming from with your first comment on my blog. i did not believe that i was being attacked or reprimanded. i knew your irritation was with the idea of the sacrament being withheld due to age and understanding. i guess that's what i get for spending so much time with you at seminary... i've actually come close to understanding you!

*shudders*

Em said...

We missed the pumpkin patch this year. Liz did go to one with her class and I went to the same one with my work. But it wasn't the same. But we still carved great pumpkins and had lots of fun

Susan Miller said...

Yes, my sweet friend, life is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing that glimpse. Great writing, wonderful pictures....looks like a good time was had by all. Isn't it great when your eyes are wide open and you simply see it all around you...just the absolute beauty of being....and then the overwhelming gratitude that God has given you this opportunity. Keep writing!

Skdo said...

Mark - You are beginning to scare me. Eek! You actually understand me? You're among a Lucky (?) few. ;)